Distributor Overhaul

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor Overhaul
From: David Hall <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 9:32:22 PDT
Hello All..

Yesterday I purchased an Electronic Ignition kit for my 72 GT.  When I
opened the Distributor, I found some disturbing things:

1.  The spring which is normally attached to the vaccuume advance has
    come loose, and was shredded.

2.  Lots of metal shavings all around the interior.  (Presumably from the
    spring.)

3.  There is only 1, not two plates!  The plate that the points are normally
    attached to was non-existant!

The plate which attaches to the housing had all of the mounting points for
the points, etc.  So, the question is this:

Is there any condition where you would NOT want the Vaccuume advance
hooked up?  (Why did some PO do this?)

Could the plate be from some previous distributor which did not have a
vaccuume advance?

Since the car was running OK (not great - backfire when I let off the gas.)
I am going to hook it up for now without the vaccuume advance, and start
looking for some replacement plates.  (I've got to get it running so I can
get it smogged and registered.)

Thanks!

Dave Hall
dhall@vcd.hp.com