Advice for a sol wannabe

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice for a sol wannabe
From: Ignasi Palou-Rivera <palou@osnome.che.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 10:56:35 -0500
For a number of years I've been playing with the idea of getting an
lbc. This Summer may be the right time, as I'm moving to a bigger
place in a month and will have enough space to keep an extra car and
the associated junk.

In order to decide the right car for me in the present circumstances
I've been in and out of some the british car mailing lists for a
couple of years and read several books. Right now my choices are
either an MG Midget or a Triumph Spitfire. In both cases I believe a
late 60s-early 70s car will be adequate. I'm trying to keep the
purchase cost within reason in my present circumstances. I'm thinking
of something between $1500 and $2000. I'd prefer a mechanically sound
car, the cosmetica spect is not important. Does all this sound reasonable?
Any important things I'm missing?

I've been following the local classifieds (Madison, WI) for a while
without much success until yesterday. In Sunday's paper there was an
ad for a 75 Midget for $2100. It supposedly has 49 kmiles, a sound
engine (rebuilt carb last year), some cosmetic rust. I'm looking at
the car tomorrow evening. Does the price sound reasonable? Any special
advice? I think I would prefer an earlier Midget (a chrome-bumpered
1275 Mk III), but I think this one is worth a look.

Any advice will be erally appreciated. Probably personal e-mail will
be more adequate.

Thanks in advance,

Ignasi.