Re: Paint, Urethane v. Enamel?

To: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Subject: Re: Paint, Urethane v. Enamel?
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:14:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, S. L. Hower wrote:

> ready for the painter.  I have two estimates for re-spraying
> and while the difference on paper is only a single word
> (Acrylic Urethane vs. Acrylic Enamel) the difference on the
> bottom line is many $$$- about 20% higher.

> FWIW, the brand of urethane is Glasurit, the enamel is DuPont
> Centauri.  I have heard that DuPont Imron is an excellent
> paint; the shop said it is overkill for an auto, but will use
> it if I so desire.  I am afraid to ask for the Imron cost.

I used Ditzler acrylic enamel with a isocynate-containing hardener.  This
made it cure quickly, and I could color sand the paint and buff out minor
irregularities.  It seems very tough.  If that is what they plan to do
with the centauri (use a hardener), I would say that will provide a good,
tough, very attractive finish.  Beyond a certain point, the more money you
spend on a paint job, the more the probability some a**hole will scrape a
key down the side.  It is a law of nature, or something.

If they plan to use the centauri without a hardener, then I would spend
the extra bucks for the urethane.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910