Tired TC engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tired TC engine
From: RUSS@maxvax.scubed.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:30:55 -0700 (PDT)
I am restoring an abused TC engine that had been bored to 0.100" and
badly worn again (the external oil pump had been bypassed by a penny-pinching
PO - the filters are $$ but not THAT bad!).  It was also incredibly corroded
in the waterways.

I had sleeves pressed in and, fortunately, resisted the urge to go a little
oversize on the bore; it looks like the sleeves will have to constitute
a significant part of the cylinder strength.  Boring for them broke through
to the water jacket in several tiny spots where the corrosion was very
deep, so presumably the original cylinder wall is thin everywhere.

The XPAG engine is rather whimpy (compression ratio is only ~7.5) so it's
my *guess* that the sleeves will provide enough strength to hold it all
together (its wall thickness is about 0.10").  Does anyone know of success
(or, gasp, failure) with this situation?  (And is there a competition class
for wet-sleeved MGTC's?)    ;-)

Russ Wilson