1967 MGB Mystery-Summary

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1967 MGB Mystery-Summary
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 1995 13:27:11 -0400
Concerning the little tube from my trunk down towards the fuel pump,
thanks to the many responses..people were looking in books I never
heard of, flinging themselves under their LBCs, ripping carpet up in
trunks...thanks to all.
First of all, to those who spoke of gas fumes in the trunk from these
one or two breather hoses...
GET HELP FAST, STOP AND SOLVE THE PROBLEM, YOU ARE IN DANGER!!!  If
the hoses can draw fumes out of the fuel pump, something is very
wrong in the pump, gas is getting to where it should not be, or you
have other leaks in the gas/pump/pipes system and are ripe for an
explosion.  Perhps evens the tank is leaking, but get it fixed,
please.
The general consensus is that a single 3/8 diameter breather hose
should go from the trunk to the old SU fuel pump cap to provide
cleaner air to the pumps inner workings than is normally available
under the car.  Later, two hoses were provided, one smaller at 3/16
diameter to the SU pump body.  None were provided for the rubber
bumper B's.  Most data came from DamitDick, but all agreed that the
fool thing is probably not worth worrying about if it is missing.
Thanks to all, and watch out for those fumes.
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||