Re: '73 MGB-GT For Sale in PA

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '73 MGB-GT For Sale in PA
From: Railroad2@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 12:52:37 -0400
HELLO  from:

Glen Wilson
Railroad2@aol.com
Eastern Pennsylvania, USA

I'm selling my '73 MGB-GT because I have too many cars and the other three
all qualify for antique tags and low insurance rates.  The car has over
100,000 miles on it, but the engine was rebuilt by a Jaguar restorer for one
of his kids; it had been in that family since new.

Key points:

- New Pennsylvania inspection stickers
- New Weber DGV carb
- Front end just professionally rebuilt (new kingpins, all new MGB V8
bushings)
- New exhaust system (except front pipe)
- Reconditioned front brake calipers
- New rear wheel cylinders and brake hardware
- New rotors and pads
- Master cylinder approximately two years old
- New brake hoses
- New hand brake cable
- Front shock absorbers approximately two years old
- Rear shocks in good condition
- New trans mount, engine mounts in good shape
- New steering rack boots
- New chrome grille (other chrome very good; also have original grille)

It was repainted in black Imron and from fifteen feet away is stunning (up
close it looks pretty good).  Interior is Autumn Leaf with cloth seats and is
in very good condition.  It has five Rostyle wheels with good tires.

It idles, runs and drives real nice.  Excellent starting.  Excellent oil
pressure.  Pulls real strong with no pinging.  (There are Dremel marks near
the crankshaft pulley.)

Now for the rust report.  The car is very sound structurally.  The spring
attachment points and so forth are all solid.  The floors are solid.  The
inner sills are solid.  The outer sills are in pretty good shape.  The rocker
panels have been flushed out through holes made under the aluminum door
threshhold plates and treated with Eastwood Oxi-solve to inhibit further
rusting .  The front and rear quarter panels have some Eastwood Metaglas
filler in them.  The local MGB restorer (a good one) says the sills probably
have four or five years before they might need rebuilding.

That's it.  My conscience is perfectly clear.  It's a decent car that looks
good and runs well.  I resisted the temptation to cut it all up and "restore"
it because it hasn't really reached that point yet.  (My bank account says
thank you.)  I'd say buy it and drive it for a few years and then restore the
hell out of it if you want to.

I'm planning to ask $3500 or best offer for it with a current inspection
sticker and receipts for the major work.  (I'd appreciate feedback on the
asking price even if you aren't interested in the car.)

E-mail me or call 610-872-2109.  I wouldn't pay a thousand dollars to ship
this one across the country, but it's worth a look if it sounds good and
you're within a couple of hours.