Clutch FUBAR.....&^^#$$^&%&*$$$

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG Mail List mgs@autox.team.net)
Subject: Clutch FUBAR.....&^^#$$^&%&*$$$
From: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu (Jon N Swanson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 18:55:57 -0400 (EDT)
Just when you think you have the car under control mechanically and can
start looking into some of the minor things like low oil pressure and
tires, it comes up with something new...

These cars are not made to be driven are they - just worked on ad nauseam,
ad moneyam, ad whydidibuythisam....(sorry, it's been a depressing afternoon)

Well anyways, I'm driving home from work today (one of the first times I've
trusted it to get me there and back), and it's minor stop and go traffic time.
I started to feel a shudder in the clutch pedal and it is making a grinding
noise when the clutch pedal is down.  I made it home ~10miles using the
clutch as little and as quickly as possible.

So here's the evidence:

Sudden onset of problems, no related problems before.
Vibration felt through clutch pedal.
Car seems to drive fine in any gear (only problems when clutch is down).
Engine runs fine in neutral.
Engine slows down and eventually stalls with the clutch pedal down, grinding
  noise coming from somewhere.
Clutch fluid, Gearbox oil, engine oil levels all normal.

Who's guilty?
The throwout bearing or the throwout car....  :-(

Please tell me it's a "you forgot to grease this" or "adjust that" sort of
thing, not a "remove the engine and maybe drive it next year" kind of thing.

--
Jon Swanson
swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu