Re: I took my windscreen apart last week...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I took my windscreen apart last week...
From: craig@wco.com (craig wiper)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 19:26:23 -0700

>...and there were these weird rubber channels on the sides that just
>wouldn't budge.  I finally ripped them apart, only to discover that
>behind the rubber is a piece of metal attached to the windscreen sidepost
>with two screws.
>
>My question is this:
>
>How on earth were those screws installed?  I couldn't find the slightest
>trace of a puncture in the rubber on the other side, and there is just NO
>WAY that those screws could have been put in any other way.  When I put
>it back together, do I have to reinstall the screws and that metal strip,
>or can/should I leave it out?
>

>Those Abingdon people must have been sorcerers as well as mechanics.
>
>-- Marc
>GHN3/8214
>
>I pulled mine apart a few years ago, replaced all the rubber and put it
back together with great big clamps to pull everything together (very
carefully) so that all the little screws would fit. I don't remember any
screws long enough to go througn anything but the very thin metal retainers.
All the screws I took out went back in! Sorry, but I can't remember enough
of the detail to help any more. It was not an easy job.

Craig Wiper