Re: Lucas Lights

To: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@ra.MsState.Edu>
Subject: Re: Lucas Lights
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 14:47:16 -0900 (PDT)

On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Eric L. Van Iderstine wrote:

> I have a couple questions regarding Lucas lights.
>
> I have a set of original Lucas tripod headlights (They say LUCAS PL in
> the center of the tripod).  My father had them on a Studebaker Avanti (is
> there a Avanti/Studebaker list out there?), and if I won't be able to get
> to it for a few more years.
>
> Question.  Some of the chrome has flaked off on the reflective surface,
> is there anything I can do about it.

You might try contacting some of the companies that do reflector
"resilvering" -- advertising in magazines such as Hemmings or Old Cars
Weekly -- and ask their advice. If the reflector can be separated from the
glass (PLs are glued together as I recall), it shouldn't be too hard to
proceed from there, so long as the the reflector is still solid. (I say
that because I've had a few of these that rusted through!)

> He also has driving lights, only one was smashed in a wreck (from snow
> covered street to mialbox....WHAM) the other is perfect, but is missing
> the glass.  Are there any sources for replacement glass?

These turn up from time to time at flea markets. I recall also that M*ss
has had repro versions. I don't know if they sell lenses. There is also
a company called "Holden (something) (something)" -- sorry, I don't have
my copy of the Monster List handy, but they're on it -- in England that
sells obsolete/repro Lucas stuff.

Question: which lamps are these: the "classic" flamethrowers, or 576
lamps, once available in fog or clear lens patterns, and in either amber
or clear glass? Or are they some other model of Lucas lamp?

Give me a day or two, and I can probably provide original part numbers
for lenses, at least on the 576 lamps, if you're interested.

Andy Mace