Rusted Outer Rocker Panels '72 BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rusted Outer Rocker Panels '72 BGT
From: tperfect@teleport.com (Michael Snyder)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 19:26:05 -0700
Ok, I'm un-lurking...

I just bought a '72 MGB-GT and am beginning to restore it to a "driving
restoration". Mechanically it's great...only 50K miles, but it has sat out
in the fog of Monterey, CA for years; hence my problems.

I took off the front fenders (wings), and the fronts of the outside rocker
panels are rotted out to varying degrees. The L side I don't think needs
replacing, just some Por15. But the R side outside is about 30 percent
gone. The rest of both rockers are fine (front of door back), as is the
inside and bottom rocker. Just the outside front "torpeado" looking portion
is toast.

I'm new to restoration, but comfortable with body work, welding, etc... I'd
rather not replace the entire rocker if I can get away with it ( I don't
think I'd tackle that myself). Because of the way the fenders mount,
someone out there has had to have been faced with the same problem.

FYI- The frame doesn't sag...all door lines, etc. line up perfectly.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed with a repair? If so please
email me.
Better yet, since it's the outer rocker, does it need to be replaced?
Wishful thinking probably...

Email me at:     tperfect@teleport.com

Mike Snyder
Trigger Perfect Inc
tperfect@teleport.com

"If Vince Foster had a gun, he'd still be alive."- Art Bell
"Never pet a burning dog."- Buddy Rich