Re: Refurbish Master Cylinder

To: "Unger, Larry @ RES" <UNGERL@Reston.UnisysGSG.COM>
Subject: Re: Refurbish Master Cylinder
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 15:16:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 18 Jul 1995, Unger, Larry @ RES wrote:

> Disassembled an MGA Master Cylinder, after 15 years of storage ... light
> honing
> revealed several large pits on the bottom of the cylinders ... cost for a
> *new* Master
> Cylinder is ~$250.00 ... :-(.
>
> Does anyone know what the tolerance is?  IOW, how much can I remove?

I'd say anything that is not removed completely by light honing is too much.

> Has anyone had their master cylinder sleeved/overbored?  Saw one
> for brass sleeving and another for overboring.  I'm concerned over the
> longevity of
>  the brass and the ability to rebuild the overbored cylinder at a later
> date.

My bugeye has essentially the same mc.  I had both the clutch and brake
sides sleeved with brass by White Post.  The work seems fine, but I am
having trouble finding rebuild kits with rubber that does not self
destruct.  Given the work of putting new kits in, the $100 plus postage
cost of resleeving, and the fact that only this one cylinder stands
between me and disaster, I am beginning to wish I had bought a new one.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910