Re: Synthetic Oil in '74 MGB

Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil in '74 MGB
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 18:09:02 -0400 (EDT)
>From Slclemo@aol.comTue Jul 18 17:48:55 1995
>     I am currently using synthetic 20W50 oil in my '74 B.  I saw on the
>label a warning about using synthetics in engines prio to 1980....
[snip]
>Steve in Baltimore

I use Mobil 1 in my '70 MGB, my '98 S-10 Blazer, and my '84 V-65 Magna
motorcycle.  I have had no problems at all.  I'm told that the synthetics
will basically clean out old deposits etc in a dirty engine.  This could
cause some older gaskets start leaking etc, not that you could *ever* get
an MG to leak oil!  If I were introducing synthetic into an older engine,
I would plan the first 1 or 2 oil changes early (1000 or so miles), in
case there is alot of loosed gunk plugging the filter.  Perhaps if you
wanted to save $$ you could only change the filter at 1000 miles.

To my knowledge the synthetics meet and exceed any 1974 standards and are
not likely to "harm" a healthy engine.  One caution; I'm told that unlike
Mobil1, not all synthetics are compatabile with petrol based oils, so you
would not want to mix them up.

FWIW I don't use synthetic in my transmission as its equipped with
Overdrive and I'm afraid it might introduce slippage in the OD's clutch.
For the transmission I use Castrol 10-40.

Ray Gibbons, being the academic master of all science he is, could
probably give you a better explanation ;)

Regards,
John