Re: spitfire engine rebuild

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: spitfire engine rebuild
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 08:34:26 -0600
Just to violently agree :-)...

Greg wrote:
 >      Size the rods,

Excellent advice.  Be sure the bigends are still round.  If not,
they'll need to be rounded.  I would replace the bearings in that case.

 > get a new oil pump,

Good advice on any rebuild.  But if it was replaced the first go
around, it shouldn't need to be replaced again, ...unless... a serious
amount of metal when round the engine a few times.
 > replace the timing chain (and maybe a sprocket or two)

Good advice again, but if you replaced it the first time round, it
shouldn't need replacing again.

 > check those thrust surfaces like the life of the engine depends on it

Yah!  I would replace the thrust washers if they werent' done the
first time round.  Also be sure that the end float is within spec.

 > use new gaskets and seals (again),

Absolutely.

 > use all new bearings (again).

Why?  I would think that if the rods are true, and the crank is ok,
there's no reason to replace "new" bearings.  Now if machining is
done on the bearing surfaces, that's a different story.

 > That's the minimum list.  Others may have more
 > things to add to this, as I may have overlooked some stuff.

Uhhh... I can't think of anything else...  But I would pull the head,
and check the valves to see if that's where you are loosing
compression.  If it is, get the head redone and put it back.  If not,
then it's time to go after the pistons.

 >      Above all, Don't lose heart.

Keep the faith!

-Scotty