Fuel pump success (no thanks to J.C. Whitney)

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG's)
Subject: Fuel pump success (no thanks to J.C. Whitney)
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 08:28:34 -0400 (EDT)

  As some of you may remember, I've been trying to get the SU fuel pump on
my 74 MGB to work again.  Well, as some people suggested, I tried to get my
hands on a replacement solid-state fuel pump.  J.C.Witney had them listed
for $32.00.  Sounded good to me, so I called up (the non-800 number) and
ordered one, to be shipped second day (which meant it'd take a week).  Well,
a week and a half later I called back and got annoyed enough with them to
vow never again to order anything from them. (My conversation with them
follows at the end).
  Anyway, I called Victoria British and they had complete SU rebuild kits.
They're the only ones I found that did, TRF didn't (Though they could back
order the points for me :-/), MOSS didn't.  They both told me I didn't need
a rebuild kit, that nothing ever goes wrong except the points and diaphram
(right...).  I didn't try any of the smaller places.
  I got the kit yesterday, took the pump apart, and found that the outlet
valve had corroded away and fallen apart.  I rebuilt the pump, and after a
few trys to get the points adjusted correctly, it actually pumped gas!  I
was able to bring the car home, finally!
  Now that it runs again, I'm ready to take it apart and start the
restoration. :-}

Why I'll never order anything from J.C.Whitney again.
(and I though Moss tended to lie about back orders)

 "I'm kind of wondering where my part is, I ordered it 'rush'"

 "Oh, that part was discontinued, we cancelled the order."

 "And you didn't bother to tell me? I sorta need that part, that's why I
ordered it rush.  I was told it was in stock when I ordered it."

 "No, no way, we haven't had the part in stock for a while now, so you
couldn't have ordered it rush."

 "Hi... I'm kind of pissed.  I ordered a part and was told it was in stock,
which is why I ordered it, and now I need it two days ago."

 "Gee, sorry, what was the part number... nope, that's been discontinued."

 "Yes, thank you, I know that.  But here's this other part that will work,
I'd like to order that, but you ARE going to pay for next day air.  Is it in
stock, really?  Can you REALLY check?"

 "Yes, sir, the computer says right here it's in stock.  That'll be $32 for
the pump and $30 for shipping."

 "NO, You are going to pay for shipping.  I'm not going to pay $30 because
you lied to me."

 "Sorry sir, I can't do that."

 "Ok, fine, can I talk to a superviser please?"

 "Hold on..."

 <5 minutes later> "Hi, can I help you?"

 "I certainly damn well hope so."  <explain whole situation again>

 "No, sir, the pump you originally ordered has been discontinued."

 "I F*CKING know that. I want this second pump, and I want it tommorow, and
I want you to pay for it."

 "Well, I'll have to call you back."  <hang up> <wait...> <ring>

 "Hi, Sir?  That pump isn't in stock either, it's backordered for months,
it's a limited quantity item."

 "So why the HELL did the person just tell me it WAS in stock?  If I hadn't
asked for the superviser I would have waited ANOTHER week?"

 "Well, sir, it's a limited quantity item."

 "I don't CARE about that.  I CARE that I was lied to, TWICE, I was
incorrectly told something was in stock JUST AFTER I COMPLAINED ABOUT THAT
VERY PROBLEM."

 "I didn't tell you it was in stock..."

 "G*D DAMN.  You people have to learn to do better business."

 "Well sir, it's a limited quantity item."

 "Forget it, forget it, just cancel any order, don't send my any catalogs,
I'm not going to try and buy anything from you again."

 "Ok, I'll see if I can cancel your order."

 "You'll what? CANCEL MY ORDER." <hang up>

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation