Are my Armstrong shocks worn out?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Are my Armstrong shocks worn out?
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 23:46 EST
I finally got around to the front suspension on my TD restoration. This is
the car that sat idle for 25 years in a heated garage. The upper
wishbone on the shock (damper) had no resistance at all. I added fluid
and worked it up and down. This restored resistance, although I have
no idea if it is within spec. What bothers me is the amount of wobble in
the shaft of the shock. The end of wishbone has about 1/16 inch of side to
side play when I move it by hand. Is this excessive? I really need to
know since replacements are so expensive. Thanks in advance.

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD