Re: Hard Tops for Midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hard Tops for Midget
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 95 09:52:15 GMT
Hi all,
      I regularly use a hard top on my midget in winter.  Remember this is
Britain!!  The reasons I do this :

1)  I live in Britain - no soft top can stop the amount of rain we get in
winter.
2)  The car lives outside all year round - lots of rain (see 1)
3)  It's warmer than the soft top - my heater always goes strange at the start
        of winter and it takes me months to find the time to fix it.
4)  A soft top covered in snow is no fun - a trip to the Scottish highlands
        last new year saw us in blizzards and black ice every day (in a midget!)
5)  It makes summer seem even better, when you get to take off the hard top
        and roll down the hood.
6)  More useable luggage space - i.e. you can actually leave stuff behind the
        seats without it being pilfered - very useful for a winters climbing
        trip (Remember a migdets luggage capacity is virtually zero, and that
        two peoples climbing gear for a winter two week trip is very non-zero).

Now the disadvantages ::

1)  The day after you bolt the hard top in place the sun comes out, and you
       can't roll the hood down.
2)  The very obvious one - you can't roll down the hood (this is very much
       like 1) above, but I need to re-emphasize how traumatic it is.
3)  Rearward visibility to the sides is reduced, not too good for seeing
       who's overtaking.

I have a very standard "wrap around" type hard top with plastic windows, it
bolts
on in about 10 mins single handedly.  I wouldn't want to be without it in
winter.

Andy

Andy Smith. Senior Physicist
Royal Marsden Hospital