Re: Midget Wheel Rub

To: Mr Andy Smith <andys@skye.icr.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Midget Wheel Rub
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 14:59:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Mr Andy Smith wrote:

> On the subject of my rubbing rear wheels :
>
> Is there any difference between a rear axle for a steel wheeled midget and
> a wire wheeled one.  Yes I KNOW there is for an MGB!
>
> I don't think there is, I checked my parts lists, and the wire wheel half
> shafts fit fine OK, so I guess I have a wire wheel axle (or a generic axle
> if there is indeed no difference)..
>
> If anyone can shed some definitive light on this question, let me know.

I bought a bugeye that had wire wheels installed by putting wire wheel
half shafts from a later spridget in the bugeye housing.  The wire wheel
half shafts are each 9/16 shorter than the steel wheel bugeye half
shafts.  When inserted in the conventional axle housing, only about 1/2
inch of the axle's splines engage with the splines in the differential,
vs. about an inch of the conventional axle.

I strongly suspect that spridget wire wheel axle housings are narrower
than solid wheel housings.  If you don't know this, you can stick ww axles
in a solid wheel axle housing, but your power is being transmitted through
half the normal spline length.  Since this is a point where axles
sometimes fail even when the transmission length is proper, it seems to me
there is a high chance of finding yourself by the side of the road.

If you have ww's on a solid axle housing, it should increase the track by
an inch.  If the rubbing is taking place on the outer edges of the tires,
I would investigate this as a possible reason.  Pull your half shaft,
smear some paint on the splines, re-insert it and wiggle it around, and
pull it to see how much of the splines engage.  If it is about 1/2 inch, I
would say you likely have ww shafts in a solid wheel axle.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910