3/4 switch for OD transmissions

Subject: 3/4 switch for OD transmissions
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 15:31:09 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
>Subject: Re: speaking of OD's

[snip]
> Unfortunately, the only way I have found to get at that switch is to
>remove the tranny (the switch is on top, under the tunnel).
[snip]
>               A. B. Bonds

Ha! Bag That.  I'd bore a hole through the top and get to it.  Call it an
engineering improvement, yeah thats it.
As a matter of fact, you could cut away the transmission tunnel housing
and make it a removable item.  No wait, then it would be a Triumph.  You
wouldn't want to do that :)

Heres what ya do.  Get some small magnets and tape them to the drive
shaft at equal spacing.  Use a magnetic pickup then to sense how fast the
car is actually moving.  Next run a line from the tach so you can sense
the engine speed.  Run another line from the clutch pedal to make sure
the clutch is engauged.  Using these three you can calculate if the car
is in 3rd or 4th.

Now, if the car is coasting downhill in neutral you could not tell, but
its neutral anyway so it does not matter.

The only other consideration is reverse.  Heck, just don't use reverse.

Now isn't that easier than removing the tranny ? :)

Best of luck,
John Van Valkenburgh