Another Story for Denise

To: MGs@Autox.team.net
Subject: Another Story for Denise
From: DamitDick@megaweb.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 14:37:41
I returned from MG '95 all fired up to do something about my rather dodgey
MGB-LE sitting in the
driveway. But, GoF West was only three weeks away so lets not get carried away
with any long term
projects. As it turned out, I used the LE for transportation to and from GoF
West. Well Sunday
morning I fired it up to go to the winners circle only to learn that it had
self destructed overnight! The
time had come!

I've had a rebuilt OD trasmission sitting on the shop floor waiting to be
installed for some time now.
So the first thing was to pull the engine and transmission. This would allow me
to find out just what
part of the intake/exhaust system had self destructed. It turns out that the
catalytic converted had
come apart (separated the forward flange from the body).

While the engine was out might as well take the time to degrease everything,
paint the block and just
gennerally tidy up everything in the engine bay. After all 75,000 miles can get
the engine bay rather
messy. Well the transmission is ready to be attached to the engine. The block
has been degreased
and painted. Starter cleaned and painted. Smog pump cleaned and painted.
Alternator pully painted. I
am ready to hang these components back on the engine and sling it back into
place.

Only one hitch! Both of the front motor mount brackets which attach to the
block are cracked! Not
to worry, I will get my friendly Moss Distributor to drop ship new ones to me
directly to me. Moss is
just up the street so to speak. Well the bad news is there are no right hand
brackets available from
Moss. Haven't been for months! The good news is that my friendly Moss
Distributor is a resorceful
guy with more contacts than just Moss and he found some from another supplier.
The bad news was
he couldn't get them to me in time to sling the engine into place this week
end. This means the engine
will not get installed until I return from Rendezvous.

Once the power plant is reinstalled, I am going to evaluate setting up the
intake/exhaust system so that
I can easily (Comparatively) switch back and forth between the original setup
and one that will
increase performance and run better.

>From there its on to suspension! I intend to lower the LE to Chrome bumper
>specs. Install larger dia.
sway bar(s). Install HD Shock valves or replace Armstron shocks with tupe type.
Install Nylatron
bushings through out the suspension system.

Once I get through wrenching on the car, I will strip out the interior and all
exterior chrome trim etc.
and send the shell out to the painter. Once its painted, back up on the stands
and the wheels will go
out for stripping, polishing and repainting. And the new interior will be
installed. I already have a new
carpet kit sitting in the living room. The Recarro style seats from a Pontiac
Fierro are at the upholstery
shop and should be ready to pick up today, will be installed along with a
wooden dash trim kit from
MG Owners Club in England.

All in all I figure by next spring/summer I will once again have a LE which is
all spiffy!

Dick :>)
Have MG will travel