Re:Bypass oil filters - not snake oil?

To: woof@ott.hookup.net, Tong@picotech.co.uk, Alan@picotech.co.uk,
Subject: Re:Bypass oil filters - not snake oil?
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 08:18:07 -0400
> High quality synthetic oil for a performance engine costs about 45 a fill
> (including filter), if a extra 30 to 40 for a bypass filter can really triple
> the time between changes these seems to make good economic sense to me.
>
> Regards
> Alan Tong

Engine oil breaks down due to heat and blow by gasses. This generally
starts after 3000 mi for average driving conditions. All the filtering
in the world won't return the oil to it original lubricating
properties. Broken down oil turns to sludge that coats the surfaces of
the engine. This coating prevents the oil from removing excess engine
heat compounding the problem. Car companies today advertise longer oil
change intervals only to show a lower cost of maintenance than their
competitors. Look in the (non LBC) owners manuals for the maintenance
schedule for severe duty (Taxi, Police) intervals. These are what the
cars really need. For normal roadway driving change your oil every
3000mi and your auto transmission oil every 20,000 mi and you won't
have an lubrication related failure for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Of course YMMV!

Comments Welcome!

- -Mark     = =o&o