Re: Tyre pressures

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tyre pressures
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 11:59:36 +1000
>     Hi there
>
>     I have just swapped from cross plys to radials on my '62 MGA. Any
>     suggestions as the the correct tyre pressures. My manual only gives
>     cross ply pressures. I'm currently using 30PSI on all 4 wheels which
>     seems fine but I would like to hear other suggestions
>
>     Ian Gander

The 1980 factory workshop manual, by which time all tyres were radials
(mostly Michelins) calls for: normal load 21 front, 24 rear and 27 front and
30 rear for high speed driving.  For max load it is 21 front, 26 rear for
normal driving and 27 front and 32 rear for high speed driving.

I personally increase the front somewhat to increase tyre (tire) life.
There was an interesting tip in the MGB Moss parts manual which suggested
that the rear tyre pressures should be 4 psi above the front to prevent
overstear.  A number of people here follw this advice after some nasty
experiences.  However, if you put 30 in the front then the car rides like a
cart with 34 in the rear.

Regards,
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au