Re: Fuel tanks slushing and repairs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel tanks slushing and repairs
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 22 Aug 1995 09:42:29 -0500
In <vines.jgv7+5mICka@cmoak6.milacron.com>, Sean Johnson wrote:

>  After removing the tank, which fortunately was rust free on top, I removed
>the fuel sender retaining ring.  There was some kind of rubber ring around
>the wire holding the float.  It had turned to mush, so I took it off (I'll
>replace with a bead of RTV).  The sender gasket was also pretty much gone.

Do NOT use RTV on any gas tank components.  If you read the fine print
on the package (e.g., the Permatex stuff) it says "Not to be used in
areas continually exposed to gasoline".  When you do, it swells up,
turns into peanut butter and globs off onto your tank, which does
wonders for fuel flow (see Pumps, Fuel, SU, The Perversity of).  The
magic blue Hylomax doesn't retains its integrity either, even though
the package says it does.

What works?  Good ol' Permatex #2 (ugh. nasty.)
                        A. B. Bonds