Re: Roaring exhaust sound.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roaring exhaust sound.
From: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:22:20 +0800
Bert:

Moss Motors have sports exhaust systems with either 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"
straight pipes and a single rear silencer box. Request a copy of
their Special Tuning Performance Manual when you call.

If you ***REALLY*** want to have your exhaust roar, fit a 2" straight
pipe back to a 3-chamber  Flow-Master #42050H silencer in the rear,
if this brand is available in Europe. If it is too loud, a resonator exhaust
tip will quiet it down somewhat. Reputedly flows better in the upper
RPM range than a straight through pipe with no silencer at all.

Regards,
Jerry

=I would like to buy a similar exhaust again to the one that came with the car.
=Unfortunately, I've thrown the old exhaust away.
=Can anyone tell me where it came from?

=To identify it:

=a. The exhaust came in three pieces, the first piece (a two-into-one fork )
     from the exhaust manifold to somewhere under the seat.
     Length probably somewhat under one yard / one meter.
     The second piece about the same length, running to the box.

=b. There was only one expansion box, near the L.H. rear  wheel.
     (no box under the seat, just a length of pipe there = _great_
     ground clearance! ).

=c.  The sound was _much_ nicer, how can you ever explain that in writing?
     A true, sportscar-like  'roar' !

=d. The exhaust connected to the standard, cast-iron manifold and used the
     standard fixtures, those near the L.H. battery box and near the rear
     bumper.

=e. It was mild steel, i.e. _not_ stainless steel.

=f.  There was a manufacturers name pressed in the bottom of the box
    (yes, I was stupid enough, not to write it down, thank you... :-) ).
    I thought it was something like ''Janspeed", but I have contacted
    Janspeed in Britain and they wrote me that they  only have made exhaust
    systems that require a welded, non-standard exhaust manifold.

=Any suggestions are very welcome. There is no hurry, as I definitely won't
=exchange the exhaust again before the end of the summer season.

=Cheers

******

Bert Palte
Roggeveld 25
NL-3764 ZB Soest, The Netherlands
tel. + 31 35 602 6288 (evenings)

1970 MGB, Nr. GHN5 - 205838 G (chrome bumper, of course..)
+ several other old cars, partially dismantled...