Re: Phosphoric Acid for rust stripping

To: mgs@autox.team.net, sean_johnson@milacron.com
Subject: Re: Phosphoric Acid for rust stripping
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 09:57:42 -0500
> OK. So what concentrations of these chemicals should be used so that I strip
> rust instead of metal?   I want to make up a tray of this stuff to strip rust
> from various brackets and like stuff before repainting.

Only use phosphoric. HCL tendsa to eat metal as well as rust. You can buy
phosphoric acid by the gallon at your friendly farm supply store (this is
about the only bonus about living in the boonies). I get mine from Farm and
Fleet (in champaign urbana) and they call it acid rinse. Its bright orange in
color, to encourage small children to drink it no doubt. I use a couple of
gallons neat in a bucket and it works in about an hour. Sometimes I put
it in a spray bottle and spray it on. You can dunk your hand in and
it doesn't do much damage (not the same as conc HCL!!)

Marcus