Re: It's here

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: It's here
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:07:16 +0500
David M. writes:

>I do have a question, the serial number is 100244, which according to the
>documentation I have should make the car a '66 not a '67 as the title says. As
>is done today, were cars produced at the end of 1966 (as this one was) sold as
>1967 ones?

My first guess would be that the same thing happened with your car that did
with many of the early Bs: while it may have been mfg. in '66 it may not
have been sold to its first private owner until '67.  The habit was to
"date" the car when it was first titled, not when it was mfg'd.  I'm not
sure when this practice stopped with MGs; I am pretty sure it was common up
to around 65 or 66 anyway.  Maybe with the "MkII" B the factory started to
"date" their cars?  Orin?  Any comments?

Will Zehring

P.S.  Good luck, David.  You'll enjoy it (both the doing and the driving).
Just keep yourself protected from Shipwright's disease!