Re: Causes of blue smoke on start-up of 1966 MGB. Valve stem seals?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Causes of blue smoke on start-up of 1966 MGB. Valve stem seals?
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 09:53:43 +1000
>The last two weeks my 1966 MGB has emitted a blueish cloud of smoke on
>start-up. The engine starts up right away, and there is no smoke on
>acceleration or deceleration. Also, it seems that there is more smoke
>if the car has been standing longer.
>My first guess is that the valve stem seals need replacement but I
>wonder if there are any other possible causes.
>
>Also, my MGB (serial number 85,xxx, I forget the exact number) is a
>1966 registered as a 1967. I think it was first sold in 1967 so
>that 1967 is the year it was first titled.
>
>Dirk

Sounds very much like stem seals.  Try another check.  If you are stopped at
traffic lights for a period does smoke come out as you accelerate away?  If
it does then this is further confirmation.
Unfortunately it might also be worn valve guides.

It is possible to replace the seals without removing the head.  What you
need is a low pressure air source and an adapter to pressurise each cylinder
via the spark plug hole to hold the valve closed whilst you remove the
spring and collets to replace the seal (which is only a rubbishy O ring
anyway).  Seek some expert help before going down this track but it is quite
common practice.

Regards,
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au