Re: Life-time Tool Warranty

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Life-time Tool Warranty
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 12:47:31 -0400
Bert Palte writes:
>Hello fellow readers,
>
>Though the following does not relate specifically to British cars, you may
>find it amusing to read.
[snip]
>I saw him put this same spanner on a brake line nipple -
>and one of the jaws broke off.
>The same guy told me then that there was a lifetime warranty on Belzer, so,
>just to see what would happen, I went back to the store where I bought it
>about 25 years ago.
[snip]
>So I decided to mail the tool directly to Belzer in Germany to see if, and
>how, they would react. This was about four weeks ago.
>
>Much to my surprise, I received a telefax from them today, a very nice
letter...
>they are going to send me a new one, free of charge...

Well, apparently the lore of Sears Craftsman tools of the USA has not been
spread 'round the world yet.

The Sears & Roebuck Co., a chain of department stores and purveyors of
(over the last century) everything from clothing, fishing rods, the Vincent
Price art print collection, furniture, and prefabricated houses (and all able
to be ordered through a catalog), has a line of hand tools called Craftsman.
All the tools in the line come with a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty.

When I was pressing out the u-joint bearings from one of the Spits using a
couple of my dad's 35-year old Craftsman sockets and a bench vise, one of
the sockets split down the side.  I took it to the local Sears store (and
they
are _everywhere_ in the US) where I hand it to the person in the hardware
department.  Two minutes later he comes back with a shiny new socket and
hands it to me.  "There ya go," he says, "no charge."  I say thanks and
return home to complete my work on the Spit.

When I finally got around to purchasing my own tools, nearly all I bought was
Craftsman.  I hope that one day I have a son or daughter and they will use my
Craftsman tools to work on their lbc's.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com) Spits in bits