NO BRAINER IMPROVEMENTS

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: NO BRAINER IMPROVEMENTS
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 1995 23:42:17 EDT
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

I thought I would share three modifications which require no brains or
technical expertise.

1. My daily driver MGBGT (1974) has plagued me with a resonance when
all the windows are up. At 3000 to 3500 RPM it is so loud that I
refused to take the car out of town. ( I don't know if this is common
since it is the only GT I've ever driven) . All attempts for a fix to
date have failed.

A few months ago my wife asked me to pick up some foam pillows at a
friends . The pillows are those square foam  things used on  a studio
sofa They turned out to fit perfectly in the boot of the MGBGT, being
as wide
as the boot and as high as the rear seat (insert snicker here) .

On the drive home no resonance.   The pillows absorb the sound and
make a 100% improvement. (one of these days I'll buy some of my own
foam and cut and stuff it to get a my  luggage space back. Right now
I'm having too much fun taking the B out to explore country roads.

2. Whoever planned the petal layout for the "B" must have had a right
leg that was 1 inch longer than the left. When the seat is set so I can
depress the clutch petal fully,  my left leg (thigh) doesn't rest on
the seat.
After about 30 minutes  I find myself fidgeting about to relax the leg.

I took the gas petal stop off the floor and from scrap sheet metal
fabricated one that was one inch shorted. Installed it. Using a stick,
jam the petal to the floor. Adjust the cable at the carb so the
throttle plates are fully open. Remove the stick. Adjust the bolt on
the scuttle so that the slack in the petal is taken up. The result is a
gas petal which is one inch lower and my leg now rests on the seat.
(It's also much easier to 'heel and toe")

3. When driving with the drivers window up there is no place to rest
the left elbow. The door pull- arm rest is just deep enough to allow
you to place your elbow on it,  but shallow enough that it slides off
at the slightest movement.  Solution:

Take the armrest off the door. Lay  it on a one inch thick wood board
and trace the mounting faces.  Cut out .  Drill mounting holes in the
wood blocks.  Now  get up under the dash and cut a 1 1/4 inch strip of
upholstery from the top of the kick  pad ( you can't see it and you'll
only miss it once a week when you have to get  under the dash to see
why the gauges aren't working). Cover the edge of the wood blocks with
the upholstery. Reinstall the armrest using the wood blocks to space
the armrest out one more inch. Oh , you'll need to use the same type of
mounting screws only a inch longer.

My GT is now truly a GT and not a "City Car"

BOB   " Your Tax Dollars At Work "

1974 MGBGT (daily driver)
1964 Morgan Plus 4  ( ol' reliable )
1959 Morgan Plus 4 (soon to be restored)
1961 Morgan DHC   ( Half way there )
???? Issetta 300  (fairy tales can come true...)