Early '65B Dilemma

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Early '65B Dilemma
From: rjfager@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 95 20:52:05

 To All

        While attending school at CSU Chico, CA, I bought a '65B (refrig

 door handles). I put several thousand miles while in school and used it to

 commute after I landed my first engineering position .  Reduced oil

 pressure

 at low r's was becomming a major concern (Silicon Valley commute traffic is

 hard on a worn out B).  I dropped the oil pan, grabbed hold of one of the

 connecting rods and wiggled it, hey these things arn't supposed to wiggle

 and slip from side to side.  My treasured 'B sits on jack stands, warm and

 cosy in my garage.

        Anyway, I was reading the auto-stuff-for-sale in the SJMN (local San

 Jose paper) and found another '65 'B for sale.  I bought it to use as a

 doner car for my first (body is a little rough).  I drove it home (my wife

 was over joyed - not) and performed some brake and carb work.  The damn

 thing ran well enough for me to use as a commuter (100 mile round trip).  I

 didn't have the heart to strip it and dispose of the remains (I'm told this

 is an illness and I need help).  I used it as a daily commuter for the next

 year until the scent of burning oil became too strong; it to is now

 retired. I will now use some of the parts for my first.

        I still hate to send it to its demise.  It requires approx $1500.00

 to replace the floor boards, and fix the front and rear damage (from

 previous owner).  It also needs an engine rebuild, interior replacement...

 (total restoration).

        My question (I hope you made it this far) is, is it worth keeping

 for future restoration, giving away to a caring person, or scrapping?  It

 has the early style refer door handles, and other than the front and rear

 body damage (hit in the rear and pushed into the car in front), seems to be

 in sound shape.

        Any advice concerning my dilemma would be appreciated.

 John Fagerlund
 rjfager@ibm.net

 '65 MGB x 2
 '66 MGB GT