Universal Joint Removal & Install

To: mgs@autox.team.net, brit-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Universal Joint Removal & Install
From: RJUC40A@prodigy.com (MR SEAN F JOHNSON)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 23:51:49 EDT
Does anybody have advice on removal of universal joints from MGB
propeller (drive) shafts?  My Hayne's says to tap on the housing to
free the universal bearing caps.  The implication is, I suppose, that
the caps will then just fall out.  [I've come to the conclusion that
manual writers live in a universe without weather, wear, or rust.)

As an alternative, the manual says to drive the caps out from the
inside using a "small drift."  Considering that the dust seal makes
it virtually impossible to find puchase on the small lip of the seal
cap, driving the cap out from the inside isn't practical either.

Using a socket on one cap, I can use a bench vise to drive one cap in
and pushing the other out.  I then reverse the procedure with a
smaller socket to drive the other cap out.  This allowed me to
release two of the four bearing caps.  Unfortunately, the other two
have less clearance, and have to be pushed out from within, somehow.

Is there a special tool I can use to remove the universal bearing
caps?  Alternatively, how much will the garage charge me to install a
universal?

Please respond to sean_johnson@milacron.com   not, to this address.

thanks in advance,

Sean Johnson