Re: to SU or not to SU (New SU's)

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: to SU or not to SU (New SU's)
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 09:05:29 EDT
Here in the UK there is a return to manufacturer service available for SU
carbs, if you want the address let me know and I can mail it to you personnally
or to the list.

The alternative, if you have proper machine shop facilities, is to replace the
spindle bearings. Thin wall bearing inserts are available for this purpose and
a sized to work with standard diameter spindles. BE WARNED if you try to drill
the carb body to take these inserts with an ordinary drill you will fail, an
ordinary drill bit is too flexible, a milling machine and an appropriate end
mill should do the job properly - veryeasy for a competent machinist.

However since the spindles are the only part that really wears its usually
worth rebushing the carbs. Those of you with HIF spec carbs have replaceable
plastic (nylon?) bearings for the spindles and I am told that these are easy to
change.

Also, Greg mentioned having HS4's with fixed needles - these must have been
changed by the PO, HS carbs should always be swing needle. At least thats what
my guide book tells me!

Well I must get back to work now.....

David B
72 BGT