Re: starter pinion and side markers

To: Scions of MOWOG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: starter pinion and side markers
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 10:20:38 -0900 (PDT)
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, matthew edward morris wrote:

> I own a 69 midget, and the starter pinion keeps getting jammed with the
> ring gear.  I have replaced the starter but the problem persists.  It
> will start fine most of the time, but occasionally, the pinion sticks and
> I must remove the starter to dislodge it.
> is this problem common?  and what are my options?

OK, I'll take a (naive?) shot at it. Do Midgets have spacers for the
starter motors as do many Triumphs? Could this spacer be missing or
incorrect? I would have suspected a sticking pinion, but it seems like
too much of a coincidence to believe that would be the case with the
replacement starter as well.

> also, this car has reflective side markers behind the front wheels, I
> have not seen any similar and was wondering if they were standard?

This one I'm more comfortable answering. These reflectors were a feature
on U.S. models for the 1969 model year only. There should be amber ones
towards the front of the car, as well as red ones on the rear quarters.

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *

  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *