Re: MGB Painting estimate.

To: british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu, mgs@autox.team.net, jer@thlogic.com
Subject: Re: MGB Painting estimate.
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 10:16:52 -0500
*bullshit spoken by body man deleted*

>   He gave me a ballpark estimate of two weeks labor ($2000) and all the
> paint and materials ($700).  This is assuming I strip the car completely
> down to the bodyshell and sandblast the floorplans.  He added that he'd pick
> the car up and deliver it back to my door.  It seems to me that <$3000 isn't
> bad for all that he'd do. >

JESUS CHRIST! 3 GRAND?? I'm sorry I completely disagree with what this man said.
Bodywork is all about spending A LOT of time. Any monkey can strip the paint
from a car. He's going to charge you $40 an hour to fire up his DA sander,
when you can do that!

Heres my GT6 paint job for reference. I did this almost a year ago (central IL
so prices maybe cheaper).

1) I totally stripped the car, glass chrome, lights, everything. 2 days.
2) bought about $30 of good quality sanding disks for my DA (dual action) sander
and sanded to steel. Knocked out a few dings, fibreglassed
a few small holes (no welder avail. I recomend you have steel welded in).
Note: I had NO previous bodywork experience. It took time to get everything
 smooth and right
3) towed it to Bill Cooks collision (excellent body man who is willing
to work with you and to your budget, has a full paint booth/oven).

(I explained I was wiling to do all the labor apart from shoot the paint
(the skillful part). Bill said for him just to shoot the paint plus materials
and bake it would be $400 ($200 for labor, i.e. 4 hours of paint shooting,
and $200 materials i.e., paint))

4) He shot the 1st variprime layer and baked it. He allowed me to use some
space in his shop to guide coat and then sand. He spent an hour teaching me to
guide coat sand properly. A second variprime layer was shot and baked.
I guide coated and sanded again. He then shot a layer of build primer.
I guided again. He shot another layer of primer, I guide sanded again.
This took about 2 weeks.

5) he then shot the final two pack color layer in damask red and baked it.
I then towed it home, finished the door jambs mysekf with poaint he gave me.
Took two days to reassemble it. I eventually payed $450 to Bill because
he shot an extra layer of primer for me.

Total money bill = a shade under $500
Total time bill = probably about 75 hours.

It looked absolutely gorgous though (ask anybody on this list who saw it). The
key is getting the primer base *perfect* and that takes time.

Marcus