Stupid Tuning Question

To: RobBerning@msn.com
Subject: Stupid Tuning Question
From: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 11:56:10 -0700
Robert:

My 71B also suffered from the "backfire syndrome" in a manner similar to
yours. It was the "glup valve" (anti-backfire valve) in the pollution
control system. I'm not sure if this wonderful part was part of the later
systems or not. If not, ignore the rest of this e-mail.

Finding a working glup valve is difficult. My suggestion for testing it is
to disconnect the drive belt from the air pump. If the backfire stops, the
glup valve is a good guess. But in fine British tradition, it may not be the
only cause and you may still have to check for other sources.

If its the glup valve,  my suggestion is to remove the air pump, plug up the
hoses and enjoy a "real MG".

Save the air pump as the pollution police will require it for inspections
and testing, etc.

Hope this helps
Stephen M. Patchel
spatchel@radford.com