Re: Manual Spridget Engine Revolution and more

To: mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Manual Spridget Engine Revolution and more
From: MGBay@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 17:27:55 -0400
Matt,

With regard to turning the engine over by hand...try putting the car in 4th
gear and rolling it through as you require.  This works well when you are
trying to set the valves.  You could also buy a remote starter switch (
available from most automotive stores or Sears, for example). This type of
switch uses alligator clips that tie it to the starter and allow you to
"bump" the starter to position the engine drive train where you want it.

When rebuilding the head I recommend that you at least install the hardened
valve seats on the exhaust side.  These take the most beating.  Installing
valve seats will require a machine shop since the old ones have to be cut out
and the new ones installed with a precision fit.  Additionally, the new seats
will have to be honed to the proper angle to match the valve face geometry
(usually a three angle cut).  I live in a fairly small town with a NAPA store
and machine shop.  They have done excellent work and when I've been in a jam
even had the seats in stock.

Good luck,

Randy Balogh
Lebanon, Ohio