Vexation in the engine.

Subject: Vexation in the engine.
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 23:09:45 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all,
  Whilst rebuilding my '72 MGB engine (18V), I had the machine shop turn
the crank for me.  They said that they turned the main and rod surfaces
.010" for me.  They also stamped that data on the crank itself.  Tonight
I finally get around to putting things together and using a .003"
plastigauge I verify that the rod and main bearings are tight.  So far so
good.

  The thrust washers are .003" over and seem to fit snugly (no slop) while
still allowing the crank to turn.

   The problem is that after I installed the main bearings and caps
(taking care to lube the bearings with assembly lube), I can not turn the
crank!  I used a 2x4 and BFH and could *bearly* get any movement from the
crank at all.  I used care when installing the caps to make sure that
nothing was crooked.  The caps are not torqued to spec, but are quite snug.

   The bearings are make by AE, and are marked .010 so I think they are
OK.  My question is am I correct in assuming that it is likely the
machine shop goofed and did not turn the main surfaces?

   Does anybody have a spec for the diameter of a standard crank main and
rod surface?

Ideas?  Suggestions?  Sympathy?

Many thanks,
John Van Valkenburgh