Oil cooler

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil cooler
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.attgis.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 08:24 EDT
Russ writes:
> Hardly.  The function of an oil cooler is cooling oil, to keep its
> viscosity up, not to cool the engine.

I have read in several books that oil contributes to about 30% of the cooling
for a water-cooled engine (higher for an air-cooled engine). Therefore
having an oil cooler will help with  engine cooling.

This is escpecially true in a high performance arena. From personal experience
I have noticed a drop in water temperature after fitment of a bigger oil cooler
to both by pro-rally cars.

gerry