Re: New head gasket in.. more queries

Subject: Re: New head gasket in.. more queries
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 08:18:38 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 24 Sep 1995, Matt Liggett wrote:

> It was 10 PM at this point, and I have no garage.  I don't even have a
> driveway.  I have to park the Midget behind the Bronco and lower the
> tailgate for a workbench.  Then drag out a Halogen worklight when
> things get dark.
>
> Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on my fuel-pumping dillema?  I
> definitely DO have gas now, as the guage registered 1/4 tank after
> dumping in a little extra.  Perhaps I have some REALLY nasty sediment
> lodged before the fuel filter?  Strange, though, as there is
> absolutely no dirt or rust hanging out in the filter now.

Did you smell gas?

I bet a nickel you have a stuck float or two.  When you removed the carbs
you probably dumped gas on your foot, emptying the float bowls.

Or, you have crud in the needle valve the float closes.  In either case
you should be getting gas dripping from the float bowls or air filters.

If the system was plugged the fuel pump would shut off (assuming a
genuine SU).  Since the pump keeps running there is:

1) No gas (you checked this)
2) Gas is flowing like crazy and no back pressure is forming (my theory)
3) The pump has lost it's prime (hole in diaphram, air pocket in pump).
4) It's not an SU, but a #$&@ AC fuel pump which clicks all the time.
5) Plugged before fuel pump, in gas tank pickup or line (unlikely to
   happen suddenly).

3 and 5 are possible but quite a coincidence.  I'm sure you know whether
4 is right or not <grin>.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Love is like pi -- natural, irrational, and VERY important.
 --Lisa Hoffmann"