MGA with a MGB engine

To: MG owners <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA with a MGB engine
From: John Haynes <72324.3620@compuserve.com>
Date: 28 Sep 95 21:36:48 EDT
>Date: Tuesday, Sept. 26, 1995
>
>I have been looking for an MGA for a while now...saw one
>advertised...The bad news is that is has a MGB engine in it,

The only proper way to install an MGB engine in an MGA body is to remove the MGB
engine backplate and install a MGA engine backplate on the MGB engine.  Replace
the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch plate with MGA components.  Then,
attach a MGA transmission to this engine configuration.  Which allows the use of
the existing MGA transmission mount on the MGA frame.

Raise the car you are interested in and inspect the transmission mount to verify
if it has been install properly.  I have personally seen MGAs with MGB
engine/transmission installations in them and the transmissions be tided to the
frame with chains.

The MGB engine is a more modern upgrade of the MGA engine, more power, larger
displacement, and a rear main oil seal are the major improvements.  However, an
MGA without the proper engine is of less value whether that engine be MGB or
more commonly Metropolitan.