Re: To lead or not?

To: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu>
Subject: Re: To lead or not?
From: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 09:43:26 -0800
Tom Wannerburg asks:

>Do I really not need to do this?  If not, why does Victoria British sell this
>"No lead head"?  What do you other guys do?

We (well, I anyway) install stellite valves and hardened valve seats at the
next opportunity.  Engines need high octane gas because of a high
compression ratio and leaded gas to protect the valves - they're really two
separate issues fortutiously related by the fact that the old lead additive
accomplished both.  Using an unleaded additive probably doesn't do any
good, beyond boosting octane.  If that's what your engine wants, buying
high-octane gas is easier.

Russ Wilson

ps. There is an extensive article on gasoline by Bruce Hamilton accessable
from the SOL web site.