Re: Service Question

To: "Bart Schwartz" <bschwartz@dttus.com>
Subject: Re: Service Question
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 1995 08:51:00 -0400
At Mon, 02 Oct 95 16:59:30 CST, "Bart Schwartz" writes:
>      Is there anything wrong with taking it to one of those tune-up chains
>      for a quick tune-up or to Midas for brake work?  What if I dropped off
>      the shop manual?

Personally, I do almost all of my work unless it is something which requires
extended cover (i.e. a garage... I don't have one).  The only thing I've ever
found Midas useful for is braking seized drums free and giving me a parts list
(free estimate) of things I need to buy at the parts store.

That said, you won't need to drop off the shop manual for your Midget at the
brake shop.  Those guys understand the way normal disc and drum brakes work and
will be able to take it down and put it together just fine.

Tune-ups, on the other hand, I would feel a bit iffy at just any garage.
Especially if they think about touching the carbs.  If you can't afford the
expensive "British Car" garages, atleast try an older, well-established import
car shop.  They will no doubt have shop manuals for British stuff to reference
and a couple of old farts who used to work on them and understand how to sync
SUs.

HTH,

--

|                Matt Liggett <mliggett@indiana.edu>                 |