Lowering the MG (rear)

Subject: Lowering the MG (rear)
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
It's been suggested enough times now that I'm awake and paying attention,
that I need to lower the rear of my 73 MGB.  I'm doing a lot of breaking
one wheel loose in turns, and can't afford a Quaife limited slip at the
moment (sigh).

The current situation:

Front: 3/4" anti-sway bar, V8 bushings, delrin anti-sway bar bushings,
       25% uprated springs (lowers front 1", supposedly), stock lever
       shocks (fresh rebuild)

Rear:  MGB-GT springs, stock lever shocks (fresh rebuild).  The GT springs
       are about 11% stiffer than stock, but do raise the car 1/2" or so
       above normal.

I'm pretty tight on funds (just got a roll bar put in Sunday) and would
like to cheap out, but not waste my money.  Here are my options as I see
them:

1) For $65 there is a rear leaf spring lowering kit, which basically
consists of spacer blocks and longer U bolts.  This is designed to lower
the rubber bumper models 1.25".  Would this actually do anything except
"raise the axle" relative to the leaf spring?

2) For 2 @ $85 I can get 25% uprated leaf springs which also lower the
car about 1".  This is perhaps what I should have done in the first
place, but I got expert advice to the contrary.  At this point I have 2 6
month old GT leaf springs for sale.

3) For an additional 2 @ $70 I can get %30 uprated lever shocks "as long as
I'm in there".  I still don't quite understand how shocks would affect my
problem, or whether 30% is a significant amount.  Also, I'd then have 1
month old rebuilt rear levers for sale.  Or, for 2 @ $21 I can uprate my
shock valves (hmm!) 25%.  Again, is this a significant change?

4) Then there is the nutty go for broke (and I do mean broke) option of
new uprated leaf springs AND the tube shock conversion.  People are
always amazed when they find I still have lever shocks and run in DSP,
but like I said, I don't grok the shock, Spock.  This option gets on the
nasty side of $250 for the rear and $345 for the front.

Thanks in advance for any input!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"5.  There are days when no matter which way you spit, it's upwind.  (The
first law of reality.) - Jack Neafsey"