Re: MGB Body Repair Price Advice Needed

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Body Repair Price Advice Needed
From: bobp@syl.nj.nec.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:56:51 -0400 (EDT)
I'd suggest getting a few more estimates before making any decision.

One more thing.  I don't intend to criticize anyone, but I would be loathe
to use appraised values as anything but the polite fiction that they usually
tend to be.  From my experiences, the car is usually appraised by someone who
is paid by the owner to perform the appraisal.  Naturally, appraisals are
judgment calls that are subject to some constraints, so when a car falls
into a certain price range, you can bet that the appraisal will be at the
high end of that range.  I once had a car appraised for 3 times what I paid
for it (and probably 3-4 times what someone would be willing to pay me for it).

For most people, the only ways the car will ever generate a sale price close
to its appraised value are rampant inflation or utter destruction (that is
not traced to the owner throwing a match down the gas tank).
--
Bob Phillips            NEC Systems Laboratory       VOX:(609)-734-6125
bobp@syl.nj.nec.com     4 Independence Way           FAX:(609)-734-6002