Re: MGB Bodywork costs

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Bodywork costs
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 12:04:33 -24000
$4K for bodywork is definitely in the OUCH! category; my first response would
be to sell the car and buy something else that needs less work.

I can see how the $4k figure was figured though.  Take two weeks at forty
hours per week at a shop rate of $50/hr.  If you think a shop rate of $50/hr
is expensive, ask your own accounting dept how much they figure for YOU.  My
last job with a major U.S. compay had a "shop" rate of about $90/hr.  Rates
of $60-70/hr aren't unusual. (The rate includes pay, insurance, building
maintenance, etc., etc.)

The bottom line is that materials are cheap, people are expensive.

I've a better idea.  You can buy a nice air compressor, air tools, body
panels, assorted materials, take some classes, do all the body and prep work
yourself, and have somebody do the paint job.  Then you can bring the car
home and tell your wife "Look how much money I saved!" and have enough left
over to take her on a cruise so she won't divorce you.

Sean Johnson
'79 MGB