RE: Luggage rack bracket ?

To: jtilton@vt.edu
Subject: RE: Luggage rack bracket ?
From: "Lee M. Daniels, Texas A&M University" <LMD1191@ACS.TAMU.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 16:02:58 -0500 (CDT)
>Normally, I'd just press on a spire nut and forget it.  The problem is, the
>bracket is at the hinge-side of the trunk.  There's no access to the back of
>the hole because of the big structural member.

Well, you hinted at it ... yep, I'd just hit it with one touch of the MIG
welder, and then maybe have to drill it out just a little.

While prepping my 'B before the paint, I noticed that all my luggage rack
holes were not only enlarged, but also the sheet metal was slightly raised
where the screws had been cranked on.  Even though this area would never be
seen after the rack was back on, this was too much for my perfectionism to
bear, so I lowered the area a little with a body hammer, then ground it
flat with a grinder before decreasing the size of the hole with the welder.

Note that you don't really have to close up the hole by welding; one blip
of the welder on one side of the hole will decrease the diameter by plenty.

-Lee

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB