FW: Turn Signal Control Box

To: "'MGs'" <MGs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Turn Signal Control Box
From: "Palmer, Lewis" <Lew@MPLS.UCI.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 09:10:39 -0500

----------
From:   Palmer, Lewis
Sent:   Friday, October 27, 1995 9:09AM
To:     'ALAN_COSTICH'
Subject:        RE: Turn Signal Control Box

Well, I'll try:

The inside of the control box contains two relays. One for each side of t=
he car. When you turn on the left blinker, the left side relay energizes.=
 Likewise for the right.

When the relay energizes, contacts close, thus completing the circuit bet=
ween the flasher and the appropriate leads to the front and rear lights. =
At the same time, the circuit is BROKEN to that side's brake light. This =
allows that side's rear turn signal to operate without interference from =
the brake light, in the event that you apply the brakes at the same time =
the turn signal is operating. (Hopefully, you do brake and signal at turn=
s.)

Typically, the control box is simple to repair. If you look at the cover,=
 there will be thin tabs on either end which slip into slots in the base.=
 Most often you can simply lift these tabs gently and lift off the cover.=
 Make sure you note the orientation as the markings for where everything =
connects are stamped into the cover.

Once the cover is off, you should apply 12 volts across each coil (I can'=
t remember the connector numbers). That should cause the contacts to clos=
e smartly. If this fails, the relay on that side is bad. Very little can =
be done to repair the control box, in that case.=20

If the contacts do close, then the problem is likely to be dirty or pitte=
d contacts. A bit of emery cloth should clean these up easily. If this st=
ill doesn't solve the problem, then it is likely that the contact blades =
have become bent. These are easy to rebend, but be careful. The blade nee=
ds to be bent enough to open/close, but only enough to work AND open the =
corresponding brake light circuit.

If you are at all mechanical, when you open the control box and operate t=
he turn signals, all should be obvious with a little careful study. An oh=
mmeter or test light is also helpful to ensure you are getting the proper=
 output to the signals. When energized, the output to the front turn sign=
al should blink on and off 12v. The same for the rear turn signal. The br=
ake circuit should stop receiving 12v - especially when the brake is appl=
ied.

It is fairly simple to make a test jig for these relay boxes. I made one =
out of common parts - total cost was around $20. Just simply follow the w=
iring diagram for the car's brake and turn signal wiring and replicate th=
is on a pegboard. Maybe that's too much for anyone who isn't doing that o=
n a regular basis, but it is easy to isolate whether the control box is o=
perating properly.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com