Re: Smog Tests in California

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smog Tests in California
From: "Ira M. Weinstein" <iweinstein@shell.monmouth.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 22:28:52 +0000
> Date:          Fri, 27 Oct 1995 11:28:27 -0800
> To:            mgs@autox.team.net
> From:          hansa@telcom.ucdavis.edu (Hans Abplanalp)
> Subject:       Re: Smog Tests in California

> Dean,
>
>    Just a quick note.  '65 and earlier still require a smog inspection
> upon "transfer of ownership" or "new (initial) registration".  However,
> they don't require the biennial smog thereafter.
>
> Hans
> '71 B
>
> P.S.  I had a '63 B as my first car.  It made it easy to get into my
> current profession (20 yr. Automotive Technician)!
>
> >'65 or earlier requires no smog test. Proof of ownership is all that is
> >required for registration, so inspection of the car will not be required. If
> >he has a '65 or older he will have much less trouble with it. You don't
> >mention where he will be importing the car from but your email address has a
> >suggestive .uk on the end. I don't know what hoops he may have to jump
> >through to bring it into the country, maybe someone else on the list can
> >help on that topic.
> >
> >Dean Craig
> >Irvine, CA
> >'64 B
>
> --------------------------------------
> Hans C. Abplanalp
> University of California, Davis
> Fleet Services
> Davis, CA 95616-8555
> Phone (916) 752-9669
> FAX (916) 752-9670
> E-mail: hansa@telcom.ucdavis.edu,
>

> --------------------------------------

Gentlemen,

I know that there are some smog / emmission requirements that are
specific for CA.  However, isn't there also a $500 fee for
registration of out of state vehicles moved into CA?

A friend of mine told me this about 2 years ago, but now that I am
thinking of moving to San Francisco I am very interested.

Ira

Ira M. Weinstein, Matawan NJ

'77 MGB
'88 Toyota Celica