Re: Water in the oil?

To: Bernadette Roche <bernie@central.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Water in the oil?
From: Malcolm Fraser <mfraser@newton.otago.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 13:06:48 +1300
Bernadette Roche wrote:

> Kia Ora
>
> I'm a new subscriber to this newsgroup and I have a 1972 MGBGT automatic.
> Last week while checking the oil, I noticed a thick creamy coloured
> substance around the oil filler cap.  Can anyone advise me on whether this
> is the result of water mixing with the oil ie, blown head gasket  or   is
> it more serious?

Greetings from down south!

Certainly sounds like water mixing into the oil, but it may / may not be
that serious.   Water can end up condensing inside the engine if the car
sits outside on cold nights.   Sometimes it can also be an indication
that the wrong grade of thermostat is being used as well.   What does
the temperature guage read normally??

Do you do alot of short running?? If the motor isn't warmed up fully any
moisture inside the engine doesn't get the chance to be "boiled off" and
so ends up mixed with the oil.

Does the car use water???   If there are no external leaks and the car
does require regular top ups then it could point to a head gasket
problem.   From my experience this only happens if a new head gasket has
been fitted and the block / head haven't been cleaned properly or if the
engine has been severely overheated.

I gather that it doesn't seriously reduce the lubrication of the oil so
don't worry about doing expensive damage.

Hope this helps,

Malcolm.

mfraser@newton.otago.ac.nz
1977 MG Midget 1500