Fuel gauge problems

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Fuel gauge problems
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:57:54 GMT
Hi there all,
             I might have known that the few months of Lucas-trouble free
motoring
were too good to last !

Here's a puzzle for you all, I know it's not a serious life threatening
problem,but
my fuel gauge just stopped working.

Occasionally it starts to work again long enough for me to check how much fuel
have, and then dies.  Very nice of it to allow me this little snapshot really.

When it's dead, it hovers just below the "Empty" level.  The light still works
in
the dark, so I don't reckon it's an earth problem.  When it works, it comes up
the level pretty quickly, so I don't think it's just a sunken float in the
tank.

So a couple of questions:

What voltage range should I be getting down the wire to the gauge ?
What voltage should make the gauge go up to full - is it 12 volts for full,
zero for
        empty ?
Anyone had this happen like this before and found a quick dead-cert answer ?

I really don't want to pull the tank off to get the sender out unless I really
really
have to.  Been there, done that.  If I take the gauge off and wire it up to a
0-12V
variable supply, it should go up and down right ?

Also my 2p worth on the subject of MX5s / Miatas.  While driving down the Kings
Road on
Saturday (not just to pose, but on the way to buy new rear springs) I spotted
the
following cars.  It was a fairly typical Oct. day in London - warm enough to
put the
hood down with a wooly sweater on.

My Midget - hood in "safety position" (stowed away for increased visibility -
works wonders
        on my wife :    Her "You can't put the hood down it's too cold"
                        Me  "But I have to, it increases rearward visibility"
1 MG TD - hood nowhere to be seen, probably never used, driven by a guy about
150 years old.
2 MGBs  - both with hoods down.
1 Peugot 204 - hood down.
4 MX5s  - two with hoods up, two down.

The interesting thing is that the two MX5s with hoods down were driven by
women, the two
with hoods up by men.

Any comments on a possible general rule here ?

Andy
Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.