Re: Lucas... Like it were a four letter word

To: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Subject: Re: Lucas... Like it were a four letter word
From: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 08:04:58 -0800
Chris:

I have a 71 B that displayed a similar type of problem. It turned out to be
a lose wire at the starter. The connections are completely  exposed  and had
deteriorated. Took them off, re spliced them and that solved the problem.

I suggest you check for the "easy stuff" like the battery connections and
the associated ground connection. Do not however discount that its the
alternator. I went through a number of bad experiences where replacement
alternators failed with a few weeks of installation. Finally gave up and
installed a Bosch and that solved the problem.

Hope this helps

At 11:28 AM 10/30/95 -0800, you wrote:

>I would appreciate any input that anyone might have regarding this little
>problem I am having with my 80 B.
>
>At night, I can see a dim pulsing of the ignition light which increases in
>speed as rpm increases. When I am at around 2500 rpm it pulses about once
>every second and brighter than at idle. This only happens when the lights
>are on. Even when only the parking lights are on. Could it be that this
>problem is unrelated to the lights but they bring out the symptom due to the
>extra power they draw? I have a brand new lucas rebuilt alternator in it.
>Anyone have any idea what this might be or how I could find out?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

Stephen M. Patchel
spatchel@radford.com